Wednesday, April 23

Unexpected Perks of Self Employment

I'm halfway through my third week week of self-employment, and I've noticed some advantages I wasn't expecting when I gave up my old job. I used to drive, get a lift or take the bus to work, clocking up around sixty miles a week in our car, and probably only walking ten miles a week in total. I no longer drive to work, so I'm saving the environment ever so slightly, but more importantly I'm doing more walking, with frequent trips into town and to the Post Office sending copies of It's Alive! and I walk over to Paul's for our Wednesday afternoon playtesting. I reckon I'm walking nearer to twenty miles a week now. Seeing as walking is my only form of exercise at the moment, this is a good thing. In addition, my lack of willpower regarding food led to almost daily trips to the tuck shop at work for snacks and a can of pop. Without easy access to tempt me, I've been eating much better (and cheaper!). Between the two of them I've lost 3/4 of a stone (10 pounds / 4.5 kilos) over the last couple of months - excellent. I expect you all to compliment me on my svelte new physique next time you see me ;-) Because I don't have a commute I'm also getting more sleep, which is great, I hated getting up at 6am.

In other news, I've made some more changes to the website today, incorporating feedback from The Wife and my Dad over the weekend. I've also contacted GS1UK about getting some barcodes so I can put them on my boxes. I'm also continuing to contact more distributors, trying to drum up interest in Carpe Astra.

I didn't get as much of the flavour text done as I wanted to, due to the website work, but I'll post the first character preview tomorrow. There won't be any artwork yet, but a description and the flavour text.

2 comments:

Rob Bartel said...

FYI - My understanding is that bar codes aren't required for hobby industry distribution (although they're important if you're hoping to retail through bookstore channels). More important is the Standard Manufacturing Code available for free from Greater Games Industry Catalog - www.GreaterGamesIndustry.com. Richard Martin Leep is the man you want to be talking to.

I'm looking forward to seeing your games reach wider distribution.

Jackson Pope said...

Hiya Rob,

Thanks for the info. It turns out that 1,000 barcodes aren't that expensive, so I'll probably do that.

I've already email RML, but they're at GAMA at the moment, so I just got a auto-reply.

Cheers,

Jack