Wednesday, August 23

Next!

Now that Border Reivers is finally on sale I've started to think about what game to do next. I've a game in progress currently known as Codename: Dollyo, however, due to the large costs and huge amount of construction effort required for Border Reivers I'm keen to do something a bit simpler next. Dollyo is not simpler. It will also have tiles, cards, wooden pieces, etc.

I've been thinking I'd like to do a card game. I'm not too keen on games like Hattrick and Who's The Ass? as these are basically just modified decks of cards (i.e. they feature numbered cards in different 'suits'). But a nicely themed game such as Lost Cities would be great.

The only problem? I had no idea of either a theme or a mechanic. Until yesterday :-) An idea suddenly came to me, and the more I think about it (pretty much 16 hours a day) the more I think it's got legs. Currently I've not even got the most basic of prototypes together just a handful of notes and a head full of ideas. Still, it'll give me a chance to blog about design rather than production for a change. Currently known as Codename: Jorvik. Those of you with a good knowledge of the Vikings will know where I'm going with this one...

In other news, Border Reivers is coming on nicely. I found a new (and cheaper :-) ) supplier for the Display Mount glue, and I hope to post of a couple of orders this week. It's also garnering some interest on The Geek. It's appearing on some GeekLists, and I'm getting some ratings and personal comments too. Yeay!

I also got to pay in some of the cash I've earnt from selling pre-orders to the bank yesterday which was great. Unfortunately, I was a bit foolish during the last stages of production on Border Reivers and I overspent on my business credit card. It was the legendarily expensive corner rounding machine that did it. Anyway, I've been in cash flow trouble for the last couple of weeks knowing I didn't have enough cash yet to pay off the card. All that changed yesterday. I've still nowhere near broken even, but at least I'm not in debt.

4 comments:

Dave Miller said...

Just had a look at the Border Reivers page on BGG. Jack, I'm well impressed, you've done a great job of putting the game together - it looks fantastic.

Jackson Pope said...

Thanks, Dave.

I tried to make the components as professional as possible where I could knowing that my artwork and home construction would come in cheaper (and less professional-looking).

But it turned out better than I expected :-)

HamsterOfFury said...

Last I saw it was shooting at around 6.33 which ain't bad at all! Nice work!

Jackson Pope said...

Yeah - thanks. But that's from only 3 ratings. I could do with a few more honest ratings from people who have rated it and other games. Once I've got thirty ratings it gets ranked...